This Tasty Tupig

My mother arrived from Kabacan, our hometown, the other day. As always, everytime she goes there, I  ask her to bring me patupat or tupig as pasalubong. These are Ilocano delicacies which really are mouthwatering and palatable. Mom was not able to bring me patupat because she left Kabacan early. It was not yet delivered to the market from the barrio. Instead, she brought me bundles of tupig. My cousin sent me bundles as well. I was really satisfied and contented:-)

Tupig, by the way , is a native delicacy made of glutinous rice (diket) and grated coconuts wrapped in wilted banana leaves and cooked over live charcoal. It is an Ilocano word. I don't know what you call it in English or Tagalog. I asked my mom how to cook tupig. I listed down her recipe:

Ingredients:

banana leaves
1 kilo of glutinous rice flour or diket ( Ilocano)
2 cups of coconut milk
1 ½ cups of shredded young coconut
Brown sugar (according to your taste)




Procedure:

Mix all the ingredients. Make use of your hands for thorough mixing. Make sure your hands are clean though. Wrap the dough with banana leaf the same like when you wrap  Suman or lumpia. Put about 1 tbsp. When you are done wrapping, grill them over live coals. If you want, you can also bake them. Arrange  them in a cookie tray and then put in the oven. Bake about 15 to 20 minutes or until done.

One of these days, I'll try to make tupig. Take a look at This Tasty Tupig.

one bundle of tupig

another bundle

tasty tupig


2 comments:

  1. Hi Joyce, salamat sa pasyal....sarap naman nito tagal ko na di nakatikim tupig...

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha tnx verns. nakakatikim lang ako pag may umuuwi sa kabacan...

    ReplyDelete