Fungus and Bitter Melon

"Mushroom and Ampalaya leaves for dinner?" This were the exact words of my son when he sighted what was on the dining table the other night. My mom cooked  mushrooms and ampalaya leaves for dinner. It was plainly a combination of the two veggies and nothing more. It was with no spices at all. She just added a spoonful of bagoong to taste.  I don't know what to call that recipe, but I settled on the idea that it is a kind of soup. I heard my mother calling it uong and bulong ti parya ( it is actually an Ilocano dish).Whatever it is called, I had the delight sipping the soup up to the last drop from my bowl. It was yummy!

Aside from the heavenly taste, there is a health benefit this "soup" could offer.  Mushrooms which are classified as a vegetable or a herb, but  actually are fungi are an excellent source of potassium, a mineral that helps lower elevated blood pressure and reduces the risk of stroke. While ampalaya has been proven to be an effective herbal medicine for many ailments especially diabetes.

There! The kids sipped their uong and parya soup up to the last drop too!

mushrooms

ampalaya leaves

the two herbal veggies

mushroom boiling

they're now married:-)

have a sip!

No comments:

Post a Comment